Saint Paul Classic Story
Over 25 Years of Tradition
How the Saint Paul Classic became a Classic
The 26th annual Saint Paul Classic Bike Tour is typicall held on the second Sunday every September. The Classic is a music-filled ride through Saint Paul that unveils the beauty of the Capital City and its historic neighborhoods.
Historically The Saint Paul Classic has drawn over 5,500 bicyclists, more than any other bike ride in Minnesota.
However, 2021 begins a new chapter in the Saint Paul Classic story.
Over the last several years, $60 million dollars has been invested in the Grand Round and that includes state of the art trails and making the route as beautiful and bike-friendly as can be. With work nearing completion we’re showcasing this tremendous City asset including the fabulous new trails along Wheelock and Johnson Parkways and Como Avenue. We are excited about this year’s ride. As always, it will include the same great music, food and beverages.
However, it will not include closing the streets to automobile traffic since we don’t need to ride on them as much as did during past Classics.
- The Classic will start and end at Como Lakeside Pavilion.
- We are limiting attendance to 2000 with no day-of registration.
- Riders will enjoy riding on Saint Paul’s newest state of the art paved trails, bicycle lanes and protected bikeways. Almost no roads will be closed to traffic. Bicyclists must follow the rules of the road.
- The Grand Round route will be 29 or 32 miles (the 32 mile route includes a lap around Lake Phalen) and features two new rest stops: the Mississippi River Gorge Scenic Overlook and the picnic shelter across from the ancient Indian Mounds.
- The Short Route will be a “Lollipop Loop” east to Lake Phalen along Wheelock Parkway and back. Enjoy the new short route rest stop and a loop around lovely Lake Phalen for a 14-mile tour. You can even make your loop shorter by skipping the Phalen loop for an 11-mile tour.
ABOUT THE BICYCLE ALLIANCE OF MINNESOTA (BIKEMN)
The Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota (BikeMN) works to unite and strengthen bicycle advocacy, provide education, and work for a more bicycle friendly Minnesota. We believe Minnesota should be a place where bicycling is easy, safe, and fun for everyone. Learn more about BikeMN here. BikeMN Members save $ on Saint Paul Classic Bike Tour registration. Become a member today!
Amazing Rest Stops
We Support You!
The Saint Paul Classic would not be possible without the help of 100s of volunteers. Thanks in advance to everyone who signs up to help!
Volunteers receive a free T-shirt and enjoy a volunteer appreciation party at Summit Brewery with a picnic dinner catered by Mississippi Market Natural Foods Co-Op.