To achieve our vision of bicycling for all, we need to ensure Black Americans have the right to safety in public space and life free from injustice. We are striving to realign our work with racial equity outcomes, and are committed to educating ourselves and being held accountable by our community.
As we seek to grapple with the violence and injustice impacting communities of color on and off the bike, particularly Black people in America, we wanted to offer resources for the BikeMN community to learn, grow, give back, and support our neighbors statewide.
- Read Toole Design: Silence is No Longer Acceptable
- Buy the book Bicycle / Race: Transportation, Culture, and Resistance
- Follow Black Girls Do Bike on Twitter
- Follow Charles T. Brown on Twitter, The League of American Bicyclists Summit keynote speaker, and an urban planner and justice advocate
- Read and follow Tamika Butler’s blog about social justice, urban planning, and more
- Read Poor and Black “invisible cyclists” need to be part of post-pandemic planning
- Deep Dive: Cyclista Zine’s list of resources
- The Issue Is: Representation & Inclusivity – Justin Williams talks representation, inclusivity, and why things need a good shake up if we’re going to grow the sport of cycling.
- Support Black owned bicycle shops, cycling clubs, and groups around the country
- This is a helpful list of anti-racism resources. All are extremely educational, informative, and worth your time.
- Bicycling: Why We Must Talk About Race When We Talk About Bikes
- A handful of podcasts – Quick Brown Foxes, Momentum – A Race Forward, Still Processing, Code Switch, Come Through, Seeing White, The Nod, Identity Politics, Tamarindo, Asian Enough, The Stoop, This Land, Intersectionality Matters!, About Race
- The Mapping Prejudice Project, at the University of Minnesota
- Jim Crow of the North – This is a powerful documentary created by TPT’s Minnesota Experience team and the Mapping Prejudice team.
Donate and Support:
Please note, this list is not exhaustive and we encourage you to search for more organizations to support and ride with!
Major Taylor Bicycle Club of Minnesota
Stamina Racing Collective X Machines for Freedom