It doesn’t matter if you’re slowly riding off-road or just around the house, winding kilometers on the track at high speed, or taking part in a grueling competition – it’s doubly interesting to do all this in tandem!
An opportunity to ride together
Experienced cyclists are most attracted to the opportunity to ride together – no one can fall behind! Each cyclist can pedal according to their physical form or desire – no need to adapt to anyone. This is especially important for couples with different levels of training.
Another great benefit is the ability to communicate easily as you sit close to each other in tandem. If you are riding in a group on twins, then it will be convenient for the rear cyclists to communicate with each other, check the route, take pictures, use a smartphone, etc.
In addition, it is easy to carry a trailer or a child in a tandem. And when your child grows up, you can install a special adjustable Kidback carriage. This kit allows you to raise the crankset so kids can ride with you and help pedal!
Minnesota and the nation are rich in places for tandem biking for two. Let’s take a quick look at them.
Top 5 paved, unpaved, and single-track trails in Minnesota
- The Cuyuna Lakes State Trail is an eight-mile paved trail from Crosby to Riverton, within the Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area. Many lakes will delight your eye, including both natural and artificial ones. You can make a stop, even go fishing, or walk along with the abandoned Croft mine.
The region is also known for its unique geographic features around Lake Christina, including the Seven Sisters Prairie on the north side of the lake, which is a group of seven hills formed by a glacier. Lake Christina is an important stopover for many species of waterfowl during their migration.
- The Gateway State Trail is an 18-mile trail that begins in Saint Paul, travels northeast through the cities of Maplewood, North Saint Paul, and Oakdale, through Washington County, and ends at Pine Point Regional Park. To the northwest is the city of Stillwater just 4 miles away.
This is a trail where you can travel both on tandem bikes and on horseback, and go hiking. Thanks to its flat topography, it is accessible even for wheelchairs. This paved trail passes through urban areas, parks, lakes, wetlands, and fields in Ramsey and Washington counties.
Many people love the stunning views of the countryside so close to the subway. Others discover the easy access it provides to downtown St. Paul and the State Capitol complex.
- The Central Lakes State Trail passes through three counties and ten townships. Its length is 55 miles. This is a former railroad track that has been converted into a paved bike path. It starts in Fergus Falls and ends in Osakis. Beautiful landscapes open up to the eye, ranging from open grasslands/prairies, lakes, and forested hills.
The region is also known for its unique geographic features around Lake Christina, including the Seven Sisters Prairie on the north side of the lake, which is a group of seven hills formed by a glacier. Lake Christina is an important stopover for many species of waterfowl during their migration. Perhaps the most convenient location for paired cycling trips.
- The Harmony-Preston Valley State Trail is a beautiful 18-mile paved trail that connects the communities of Harmony and Preston to the existing Ruth River State Trail. In summer it is used for walking, cycling and roller skating. In winter, the trail is prepared for cross-country skiing. There is also the possibility of fishing near Preston. Very level, except for some steep hills south of Co. Rd 16.
- The Ruth River Paved State Trail runs 42 miles along the Ruth River. Built on a derelict railroad, the trail is generally level and wheelchair accessible, with the exception of a steep half-mile section between Vinegar Ridge and Houston, which can be challenging for some visitors.
if you like to ride together in picturesque places, take pictures, and don’t mind riding in the breeze, a tandem bike will be perfect for you. We are sure that your bike tour in Minnesota, solo or in a group, will give you a lot of pleasure, enrich your life and leave a mark on your memory for a long time!
About the author:
Faridun Shakhriyori is the founder and CEO of Fancy Apple Inc., the company that provides bike rentals in central park NYC that can help you explore New York City and get the best of the Big Apple.