On Thursday, February 9, 2023, active transportation advocates from throughout the state will gather in Saint Paul for the annual Minnesota Bike Summit on Capitol Hill.
The day will focus on funding for the state-level Active Transportation Grant Program, including biking and walking in updated climate, energy, and greenhouse gas goals, as well as the hands-free cell phone bill, making state policies more bicycle friendly, and more. Attendees will hear from leaders in state and local government, legislators, and other experts in the morning. After lunch, attendees will cross the street and meet directly with their legislators.
BikeMN will schedule appointments for attendees to meet with their legislators. Morning sessions will include training and coaching on talking with your legislators. Appointment times with specific legislators will be posted the morning of the Bike Summit to assist you in mapping your day. Please plan to attend a meeting with your legislator even if you are not able to attend the full Summit.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP OR TRAVEL STIPEND
BikeMN is striving to engage advocates within both urban and rural communities in the 2023 Minnesota Bike Summit. Our goal is to make the cost of attending and travel less of a barrier. Youth, women, people with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, immigrants, people of color and those traveling from Greater Minnesota are encouraged to apply. Apply here.
SUMMIT SCHEDULE AT A GLANCE
- 9:15 a.m. – Registration and check-in; networking; and continental breakfast at Christ Lutheran Church (105 University Avenue West Saint Paul, MN 55103)
- 10:00 a.m. – Morning sessions and speakers
- Program details coming soon.
- Noon – Lunch provided (included in the registration fee).
- Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options will be available.
- 1 – 3:30 p.m. – Meet with legislators to discuss the BikeMN Legislative Agenda. Scheduling varies for each participant depending upon legislator availability. During this time there will be rotating roundtable discussions happening in the basement. We invite all guests to participate before or after their legislator meetings.
- 3:00 – 5:00 pm – Informal post-event gathering at Bad Weather Brewing Company (414 7th St W, St Paul, MN 55102)
2023 Legislative Agenda
As you may recall, the Legislature adjourned in May of 2022 without passing a transportation finance or policy bill. BikeMN will be working with authors in the House and Senate to pass some of the things that had been previously proposed as well as some new things. You’ll likely recognize a few of our legislative agenda items as carryovers from previous years, but there are also some new priorities on our agenda for 2023 and we’re optimistic that many of them will receive serious consideration. Check out our legislative agenda here. We’ll continue to update and add more information prior to the Summit and throughout the term.