For the sixth year, Move Minneapolis celebrates World Car-Free Day – a day to imagine transportation without being dependent on the automobile. Move Minneapolis presents Car-Free MSP 2021 with three days of virtual and in-person events September 21 – 23.
Car-Free MSP in 2021 is back with the theme “(When you go) Back To The Office”. About 35% of the workforce has returned downtown to date. While a number of employers have pushed back the return to the office from after Labor Day to a later date, others are planning to return in September. Those who have been remote working the past 18 months are seeing some changes in their downtown transportation options. Car-Free MSP highlights the improvements in transit, carpooling, and biking programs and infrastructure.
Celebrate Car-Free MSP, September 21 – 23
Tuesday, Sept. 21, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. CST: WEBINAR:”(When You) Return To Downtown”
For the past 18 months the pandemic closed most downtown offices, employees teleworked from home. About one third of the workforce is now back at the office, more are returning on a staggered schedule this fall and winter. As much as COVID has had a devastating impact on us all, workers returning to the office will find some welcome improvements to their commutes. This webinar highlights the new programs and infrastructure that didn’t exist pre-pandemic. Improvements to make the “return to downtown” easier, faster, and more climate friendly. Join this lively discussion about new transportation options employers and employees will want to know about.
- Metro Transit has discounted all rides for Sept – Oct
- Transit expanded service into the North Loop
- The Orange Line (BRT) from Burnsville to downtown is set to launch in the fall
- The Lake Street Transit Station opening just weeks from now
- ABC Ramps Mobility Hub expanded its sustainable commuting options
- New downtown off-street bike lanes cross downtown
- A new Bike & Ride provides bicycle commuters with FREE secure park bike parking
- Yumi Nagaoka, Outreach Coordinator, Metro Transit
- Juan Rangel, Community Outreach Coordinator, Metro Transit
- Michel Wong, Marketing Manager, ABC Ramps Mobility Hub
- Tony Drollinger, Commuter Programs Specialist, Metro Transit
Wednesday, Sept. 22, 11 am – 1 pm: Grand Opening of the Bike & Ride
Join the grand opening celebration of the new Bike & Ride secure bike facility just off Twins Plaza in Ramp B. It’s free to use by registering any Metro Transit fare card. Tour the facility, register a free access card, and get a pair of Metro Transit bike socks! Visit Bike & Ride info
Thursday, Sept. 23, 11 am – 1 pm: Car-Free MSP on Nicollet Mall
Bike, bus, or carpool to Nicollet Mall for a full block devoted to easy, affordable, climate-friendly transportation. Adjacent to the Thursday farmers market, we’ll be at 8th Street and Nicollet Mall.
- Nice Ride/Lyft: Scooter & E-bike Rodeo – Test a Lyft Scooter / Nice Ride E-bike for free!
- Transportation Exhibitors – Talk to the transit, bike commuting, and carpool experts, and collect some cool swag!
- Free Bike Safety Checks – Bring your bike! BiciXicas bike mechanics will give safety checks and bike adjustments